Feeling Good!

Virginia

Virginia
Spending an afternoon at Marymount during my internship!

My rocks!

My rocks!
Wouldn't be where I am without my parents!

Graduation

Graduation
Walking for my Masters. An interesting book end as this all started when I graduated from undergrad!

Awesome Nurses!

Awesome Nurses!
After my port removal and saying goodbye to my chemo nurses before moving away from Michigan. Wouldn't be doing that without them!

Last Chemo

Last Chemo

Silliness

Silliness
Something to remember and return to. A good day!

Saturday, March 12, 2016

365 Things to Smile About Day 217. The Many Uses of Plastic Wrap!!

Day three post port removal is here and it was a wonderful day!  The beauty and wonder of this day culminated in the evening with the ability to wash my hair!!!!

For three days I was not permitted to take a shower. Gross yes but the doctor and nurses stressed that I absolutely couldn't get my incision site wet AT ALL the first three days but then I could take a shower after that with the proviso that I not get it wet as best I can for a week. That confused me but oh well...what can you do but spit baths and wear your hair in a pony tail when you can finally stand up for more than twenty minutes at a time!

So tonight I learned the joys of press and seal plastic wrap!  That stuff sticks to anything including skin. So I wrapped it around my arm, shoulder and neck and covered the incision. But I also learned the only way to not have it pull away from my neck and let the water rush down my neck was to keep my left hand over the incision and absolutely don't lift it over my shoulder!!  I quickly discovered that while I am right handed I am not the most flexible person. Try washing the left side of your head with your right hand and then rinse without pulling plastic wrap away from your skin!!  It was interesting to say the least!  

But in the end my hair got washed and I feel refreshed so it was definitely worth it!  Lol!  I'll be happy when this week is over and I can take a semi normal shower!  I still have two weeks of not letting water soak on the incision in any way. I sometimes think doctors give these orders knowing you have to become a spineless gymnast to follow them!  I don't get their humor but I'm sure it makes them giggle somewhere as they hand out these directions!  Oh well, I'm figuring it out!๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š









No comments: