Feeling Good!

Virginia

Virginia
Spending an afternoon at Marymount during my internship!

My rocks!

My rocks!
Wouldn't be where I am without my parents!

Graduation

Graduation
Walking for my Masters. An interesting book end as this all started when I graduated from undergrad!

Awesome Nurses!

Awesome Nurses!
After my port removal and saying goodbye to my chemo nurses before moving away from Michigan. Wouldn't be doing that without them!

Last Chemo

Last Chemo

Silliness

Silliness
Something to remember and return to. A good day!

Monday, August 17, 2015

365 Things To Smile About Day 10. Another First Since Chemo

You would think that at almost two years since chemo I would have run out of "firsts since chemo". Not so much!  Today's "first" took a while coming because it involves being back in Virginia!  

For years, when I lived out here, I drove from the Shenandoah Valley to Chantilly and back for work every day. It became a distance I really didn't notice after a while but in fact it was anywhere from 45 to 60 miles one way depending on where I was living. The past few times I've been out here, I simply did not have the energy to drive it. I had to rely on rides from friends to get to Front Royal and often had to rest after getting there.   It was beyond frustrating.  Well, I still had to rest after getting here today but...I drove that route by myself and made it!!!  

Some might say, "Whats the big deal?"  driving has always been a struggle for me since I was a teenager. Finding doctors who understood my eye condition and feeling trusted when practicing driving was no small thing. When I became a daily commuter I thought nobody could take this ability I had fought for for years away from me now. I had proven myself. Then cancer and chemo came along. And driving became impossible. More than 30 minutes of driving after chemo finished made my body and eyes so tired I couldn't see strait and I would start to shake. And that was with no traffic to focus on!!  Only this past spring, over a year out of treatment, have I been able to drive the two hours from my house to my parent's house. And I'm generally pretty tired when I get there...but not shaking. 

Today I feel like I have taken one more step back into the life I remember. The life where I was so independent and didn't have to rest all the time. Maybe I'll never get completely back to that life. But today I DROVE MYSELF back to my mountains that I love so much for the first time since chemo!!  That's something to smile about! :)








No comments: