Feeling Good!

Virginia

Virginia
Spending an afternoon at Marymount during my internship!

My rocks!

My rocks!
Wouldn't be where I am without my parents!

Graduation

Graduation
Walking for my Masters. An interesting book end as this all started when I graduated from undergrad!

Awesome Nurses!

Awesome Nurses!
After my port removal and saying goodbye to my chemo nurses before moving away from Michigan. Wouldn't be doing that without them!

Last Chemo

Last Chemo

Silliness

Silliness
Something to remember and return to. A good day!

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

My New Normal Days 39 & 40. Getting Through Bad Days

We all have them, no matter what, bad days happen.  I think it is about how you are able to get through them and the people you are able to lean on.  Those days where it seems nothing goes right and then at the end of it you come home and for some unknowable reason, your key won't work in the lock!  And eventually you discover that was because the lock was changed and no one told you!

As far as I know nothing I did caused this to happen and more than likely the information about this (or a key to open the door) was simply forgotten to be passed on.  Maybe the person in charge of it was having a bad day themselves.  All I know was that coming home and not being able to get into my apartment ended up not being the straw that broke the camel's back for me.  It was my realization that I was initially looking to a person who couldn't or wouldn't give me the support I needed.  Last night Facebook was more important to that person I tried turning to than the fact I was locked out and upset and not feeling well.  Fortunately, another friend and a brother were right there to let me vent and offer some suggestions and make me laugh while I was growling in frustration.

Bad days are going to happen.  I guess I can take comfort in the fact that this bad day had nothing to do with cancer.  Its almost a relief to have a bad day that doesn't center around a life altering disease.  It doesn't make it any easier though.  So it really comes down to how we handle them.  I think there are a few ways to do this well.  First, turn to the people you know are going to actually be there and let you vent or check in on you.  Second, make sure there is ice cream in the freezer at all times! ;)  And I think most importantly, third, make the next day better.  Focus on the positive.  Find something to laugh about.  Look at the many blessings you have in your life.  And then take a deep breath, roll out of bed in the morning, and start the day new.  Realize you got through the bad day and that bad day doesn't have to take over any more time than it already has.

No comments: