Feeling Good!

Virginia

Virginia
Spending an afternoon at Marymount during my internship!

My rocks!

My rocks!
Wouldn't be where I am without my parents!

Graduation

Graduation
Walking for my Masters. An interesting book end as this all started when I graduated from undergrad!

Awesome Nurses!

Awesome Nurses!
After my port removal and saying goodbye to my chemo nurses before moving away from Michigan. Wouldn't be doing that without them!

Last Chemo

Last Chemo

Silliness

Silliness
Something to remember and return to. A good day!

Friday, September 2, 2016

My New Normal Day 12. Support Groups.

I think we all have those days where everything is going so smoothly and great and it's just been a good day. And then something like a song reminds you of something or someone that isn't around anymore.  Or an event in your life that took everything you had to make it through. Then everything just kind of comes flooding back, all the memories, the ones that make you laugh and the ones that make you cry. 

When I was going through treatment I couldn't bring myself to find support group. For some reason it frightened me. But after treatment, going through recovery and then grad school and now coming to where I am now, I don't know what I would have done without the support groups that I found. They truly understand what a new normal means. I don't look like I was ever sick!  And that's really hard because even though I don't look sick and I don't feel the way that I used to feel anymore I still don't feel like me 100%.  

And when you try to talk about this to someone who hasn't gone through it you can hear the sympathy in their voice you can see the sympathy in their eyes and the love they have for you and that does mean a lot, but sometimes you need that empathy that these groups give. 

You can go to any of the Facebook pages and just let loose about something that's scary, happy, life changing or life altering, big or small. Or you can celebrate with them! From big things to small things to frightening things to amazing things! These people are here for you as much as you are there for them!  Complete strangers are instantly bonded together from experience.

I want to give a big shout out to all the amazing people on the support groups that I'm a part of! Your words of celebration with me when I go through something great is something that I can never thank you enough for!  And when I'm frightened, scared or just overwhelmed by everything that's happened and is happening and might happen or won't happen! You are there!

I encourage anyone going through any life-changing experience, whether it's cancer or something else, that when you're ready find a support group of people who understand, encourage, celebrate, and hold you close in friendship. 













No comments: