Feeling Good!

Virginia

Virginia
Spending an afternoon at Marymount during my internship!

My rocks!

My rocks!
Wouldn't be where I am without my parents!

Graduation

Graduation
Walking for my Masters. An interesting book end as this all started when I graduated from undergrad!

Awesome Nurses!

Awesome Nurses!
After my port removal and saying goodbye to my chemo nurses before moving away from Michigan. Wouldn't be doing that without them!

Last Chemo

Last Chemo

Silliness

Silliness
Something to remember and return to. A good day!

Sunday, May 1, 2016

365 Things to Smile About Day 266. GRADUATION!!!!!

Three years ago I was going through my cancer diagnosis and getting ready for a surgery that would completely change my life. I was praying and hoping that I wouldn't need treatment afterwards but that wasn't the case. Six brutal chemo treatments were in the cards for me. I couldn't imagine a specific future at the time. I could only think in the moment and anticipate in fear the next doctor visit or treatment. It took a long time to not make myself sick with that fear. I still get nervous but no where near as bad. 

At any rate, I didn't know what was going to happen in my life anymore. Then, as I got a few months into my recovery, I found the graduate program I started almost two years ago. And today I made it to the end!  I walked across the stage during graduation and heard my name called!!  I wasn't in a wheel chair this time from anemia. I didn't have a cancer diagnosis hanging over my head! I had kicked that evil creature in the teeth and took my life back!!!!  I am now on track for a career that is meaningful and something I love!!  I have people in my life who I love and who love me and have been rooting me on and supporting me!!  Pushing me and encouraging me to take my life back and make it great!!  Walking across that stage was a moment I had been working for!!  No matter how hard it was going to school during recovery I wasn't going to give up!  And that ceremony was my payment for that work and determination. 

As I write this, my brother and I are driving a UHaul full of my things out to Virginia for my internship and the rest of my life!  My message here is...NEVER GIVE UP!!  There will be days you want to. There will be days where all you can do is cry!  Days you don't want to get out of bed because it's too hard!  Well, let yourself cry and maybe curl up in bed for a little. But then GET UP!  Keep putting one foot in front of the other and before you know it...you will be at your goal and your whole life will be before you, just waiting for you to jump in and LIVE!!!  








No comments: