Feeling Good!

Virginia

Virginia
Spending an afternoon at Marymount during my internship!

My rocks!

My rocks!
Wouldn't be where I am without my parents!

Graduation

Graduation
Walking for my Masters. An interesting book end as this all started when I graduated from undergrad!

Awesome Nurses!

Awesome Nurses!
After my port removal and saying goodbye to my chemo nurses before moving away from Michigan. Wouldn't be doing that without them!

Last Chemo

Last Chemo

Silliness

Silliness
Something to remember and return to. A good day!

Thursday, June 27, 2013

You try to hold your arm still for 2 weeks!

A week ago today I had my port, Oscar, put in.  I was told that for two weeks I could not use full range of motion on my left arm...the side my port was put in on.  this makes total sense as using that arm a lot could pull the catheter out of place in the vein.  I fully understand the concept behind not using that arm much and not using full range of motion.  But I would love the people who give those instructions to go through that difficulty at least once, just so they can understand how frustrating you are making the life of that person for two weeks...while they are going through chemo!!

This means you wash your hair with one hand.  For a guy, not that hard.  For a woman....almost impossible!!  It means you can't each around behind you to reach an itchy spot on your back.  It means you can't stretch when you wake up.  It means you can't put your arm behind your head when you sleep.  You can't reach up to something above your head.  In fact, the elbow can't go above your shoulder.  getting dressed can be a real treat!

It is amazing how you don't think about your arm...especially after the soreness of the surgery eases up.  The soreness made me remember, don't use that arm that much.  However, maybe I can use a new pain to remind me of that.  from not being able to move that arm all that much, nor stretch it and the muscles in it, my shoulder and the muscles around it have become rather tender...and annoyed with me from stopping them stretching and working all that much.

While I don't plan to go wild and crazy at the end of the two weeks, I will be grateful when they tell me everything is in the proper place and I can use both hands to wash my hair and I can stretch a little...at the very least, move those muscles around a little more!!  I know this is a rather complaining blog but you know what...patience will only go so far in all of this...and I am reaching my limit here I think!!


No comments: