Feeling Good!

Virginia

Virginia
Spending an afternoon at Marymount during my internship!

My rocks!

My rocks!
Wouldn't be where I am without my parents!

Graduation

Graduation
Walking for my Masters. An interesting book end as this all started when I graduated from undergrad!

Awesome Nurses!

Awesome Nurses!
After my port removal and saying goodbye to my chemo nurses before moving away from Michigan. Wouldn't be doing that without them!

Last Chemo

Last Chemo

Silliness

Silliness
Something to remember and return to. A good day!

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Feet Back Under Me: I Found it!!

When I was in 8th grade a lot was happening. My older brother Peter was diagnosed with cancer for the first time and I had started homeschooling after begging my mom for years (kids can be cruel with teasing and I got it daily in school).  One other thing happened that was so small in comparison but still is a part of my life today. My mom was given a flute and some beginner instruction books. I asked her if I could try playing it and she told me I could. Over the next year I slowly taught myself the basic fingering and what fingering was what note. I started playing some simple music by ear and would write the letters of the notes above them in the melody of other songs. I was never great and probably never got beyond beginner status but I loved it!!!

Playing the flute was a peaceful thing for me. I wouldn’t call it an escape but more of a release. It was calming for me when I had no control over anything. I had to grow up fast at 14 because of my brother’s illness. And I was far from perfect at my new responsibilities. But whenever I picked up that flute I didn’t care.   And that flute has stayed with me ever since.

I have Moved a lot over the past couple of years and when  I finished grad school the flute got packed in a box and put into storage. Tonight as I was cleaning out some boxes, desperately trying to make my bedroom feel more comfortable and homey, I found my flute! It is in sad need of cleaning and probably new stops but I played it for a few minutes and was reminded of how much I loved playing and how soothing the sound was to me.   I think I needed to find it tonight so that I could once more have that release and calm that always came with playing my flute.

So thanks mom!  I feel like I absconded with your flute long ago and I am grateful you let me!  Love you!




No comments: